This classic South African dish is easy to whip up, especially if you've got the right elements.
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- ½ cup water
- 1 x 250 g punnet mushrooms of choice (I used a locally grown wild mix)
- 5 Tbsp butter
- 1 bunch spring onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp crushed garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh cream
- 1½ cups grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 handful fairly wet, fatty biltong
- Nutmeg to taste
After preheating the oven to 180 degrees and steaming the cauliflower, melt some butter in a pan and fry the spring onions, garlic and mushrooms. Separately blend the cream cheese, a cup of grated cheese, seasoning and cream. Stir the cooked cauliflower into the cheesy mix and then add the biltong and mushroom combination. Stir and pour the blend into a casserole dish and grate cheese to sprinkle over the top. Add nutmeg and bake for 20-25 minutes.